Some of you know I work in a job a really love. I started as receptionist and within a few months was promoted to my current position – this place gets major points for always wanting to recognise somebody’s strengths, and put them in a role that allows them to thrive. Since July, I’ve been in a position where I’ve been responsible for designing all external advertising, writing copy, organising videos and even doing radio voiceovers (shudder, lol) – as well as being moved to a roomy, big-windowed office shared with three other wonderful ladies who’ve become close friends. We motivate each other, encourage each other to reach our goals, we’ve held lunch hours together doing yoga, or cuddled around a table watching Britain’s The Apprentice sharing sushi. I love it there, and I’m so blessed to have been given opportunity after opportunity to challenge myself and grow – if I hadn’t, I honestly think I’d still be battling every day with my anxiety.
It’s been wonderful, and I’d like nothing more than to stay there as long as I could. But we’re a non-profit, funded by the government on an annual basis – each year the proposal goes in with better stats and results than the last year, and we get funding for another year. It’s been renewed every year since 1996, and this year we wrapped up a huge three-year research study with incredible results – it’s been a record-breaking year in helping people find employment.
The position I’m in right now was always a term position. A mat leave ending in March, with the plan, at the time, to go back to reception should nothing else open up by April 1st. In December, my boss and I had a conversation. About how I had a heck of a lot more to offer and didn’t want to go back. I wanted to contribute – I wanted to grow, and I wanted to keep helping the organization with the skills I’d developed in the role. I asked the question: should I be looking for other employment?
My boss assured me I’d be fine – they’d put a proposal in for another two positions to open up, both of which I’d be frontrunner for, and “if she should I should be looking, she’d tell me.” And she didn’t. I went on Christmas break and recent holiday worry-free, assured that by late January we’d have a good idea if we’d have the budget to keep me (which we probably would) – it was just a matter of getting the proposal approved by the government. On my first day back this week, I was greeted with hugs, cupcakes – and an email from my boss telling me the advertising budget had been cut. Not great – but this meant we knew something about the budget!!! I went to her office to talk about the further updates on the likelihood of my staying…. and it wasn’t good.
They still didn’t know. Budgets in other departments were being cut as well as mine, and we still didn’t know if the two positions I’d be “perfect for” would even be approved. We’ll know for sure before March 31st – the day my position ends. If we’re not getting approval…. I kind of feel like I should be using this time to look elsewhere, as much as it breaks my heart to do so – because one day is not realistic to find employment. I was also told that should we get approval, the new positions would have to go through an external approval process and a certain amount of paperwork… which would mean the start date may not be possible for April 1, it could be May or June.
My boss hammered in the fact that she doesn’t want me to go. But also her understanding that I had to be realistic. So right now, folks, I’m in limbo. Do I hold out hope that everything will work out in the next six weeks, hang tight and not send out any resumes? Do I start applying at places right away, because it could very well take me a month to find something if the worst comes to the worst? Or do I take the opportunity to go back to school – screwing over our wedding budget, and putting all living/wedding expenses solely on Sweet’s (very generous and willing) shoulders? I don’t think I could do it – not even considering the fact that our wedding would be exam week.
I’m torn. I desperately want to stay – and best case scenario, we get approval, and it’s a couple of months before I can go back and start. That’s doable – I can go on EI for a month or two to get by, or skimp a bit for a little while – Sweet’s been incredible, and I’m blessed to have someone so willing to support me and help me out – but I’m one of those people who needs a plan. A concrete plan she can follow along where everything happens just as it should. I hate being in limbo. And right now, I have no idea what I should do.